Connect with us

SPECIAL REPORT

Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, Liberia and Ivory Coast hit by major internet outages

Published

on

Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, Liberia and Ivory Coast hit by major internet outages

Major internet disruption has been reported in various countries across Africa, including Nigeria.

Outages have been reported in countries including South Africa,  Ivory Coast, Liberia, Ghana and Burkina Faso.

BBC reports that the cause of the cable failures is not immediately clear. But African News reports that  internet observatory Netblocks, cited information from operators indicating multiple subsea cable failures.

“There seems to be a pattern in the timing of the disruptions, impacting from the north to the south of Africa,” said Cloudflare Radar, which provides information on internet connections.

Internet connectivity in the Ivory Coast was down to around just 4% on Thursday morning, according to Netblocks, which tracks cybersecurity and internet connectivity.

Advertisement

Liberia at one point dropped to 17% while Benin was at 14% and Ghana 25%, Netblocks said.

In South Africa, Vodacom said that “customers are currently experiencing intermittent connectivity issues due to multiple undersea cable failures”.

A fault has also been reported on the MainOne cable system which serves Nigeria’s commercial hub, Lagos.

The Liberian government said internet disruption had been reported from Thursday morning.

Citizens are unable to access the basic internet as well as social media across the vast majority of the country. International bank transfers are also reported to be affected while there are limited international voice calls.

Advertisement

“It seems like 50% of my life is gone today,” Benjamin Garkpah told the BBC from the Liberian capital, Monrovia.

Fatumata Barry said her business had stalled because she can’t receive payments through mobile money.

The Liberia Telecommunications Authority said it was caused by an incident involving the Africa Coast to Europe (ACE) submarine communications cable in Ivory Coast.

In Ghana, the National Communications Authority (NCA) reported that multiple undersea cable disruptions were responsible for the outage.

Cloudflare posted on social media that major internet disruptions were ongoing in The Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Benin and Niger.

Advertisement

-BBC

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

SPECIAL REPORT

Sierra Leone throws support to Morocco’s initiatives on Western Sahara

Published

on

Sierra Leone and Morocco meeting

Sierra Leone has joined the growing league of nations who have thrown their support for Morocco’s territorial integrity, especially considering the southern province. The West African nation on Tuesday in Rabat expressed its full support for Morocco and considered the kingdom’s  autonomy initiative as the only “credible, serious and realistic” solution to the dispute over the Moroccan Sahara.

This stance was expressed in a joint communiqué issued following talks between Minister of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccan Expatriates, Nasser Bourita, and Sierra Leone’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Timothy Musa Kabba.

In the joint communiqué, Sierra Leone’s FM reiterated his country’s firm support to the Kingdom’s territorial integrity, which was reinforced by the opening, in August 2021, of a Sierra Leonean Consulate General in Dakhla and its participation, on January 15, 2021, in the Ministerial Conference in support of the autonomy initiative under Moroccan sovereignty, at the invitation of the Kingdom and the United States of America.

In this regard, he expressed his full support for the UN-led process to reach a realistic, practical and lasting solution to the Moroccan Sahara issue.

The past two weeks have been marked by a series of meetings between Bourita and several officials from African and Caribbean countries.

Advertisement

The latest meeting was with Dominica, which also renewed its support for Morocco’s territorial integrity on Monday.

Dominica’s Foreign Affairs Minister Vince Henderson emphasized his country’s position in a joint statement yesterday following talks with Bourita in Rabat.

He also emphasized that his country views Morocco’s autonomy initiative as  the “only credible, serious, and realistic solution” to the dispute.

Several other countries, including Saint Kitts and Nevis and Liberia, echoed the same sentiment recently, reaffirming support for Morocco’s territorial integrity and sovereignty over its southern provinces in Western Sahara.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Featured

REVEALED! Dani Alves Planned Jail Break Before His Temporary Release –

Published

on

REVEALED! Dani Alves Planned Jail Break Before His Temporary Release -

Former Brazil international Dani Alves  who spent 430 days, behind bars while his trial lasted for alleged sexual assault on a Spanish lady at a Barcelona nightclub in December 2022 had planned an escape.

 

 

Faced with the looming possibility of a lengthy prison term, Alves allegedly attempted an audacious prison escape.

 

Advertisement




According to reports in Spain, the player sought temporary release on bail, intending to flee to his motherland, where he wouldn’t be pursued due to the absence of an extradition treaty between Spain and Brazil.

 

However, his escape plan was dashed when one of his cell-mates disclosed the scheme to the officials, preventing its execution and all three attempts for temporary release were denied.

Continue Reading

SPECIAL REPORT

Nearly 300 Nigerian students released after abduction in Kaduna

Published

on

Nearly 300 Nigerian students released after abduction in Kaduna – Sports Village Square

Nearly 300 students and staff abducted by gunmen from a school in northern Nigeria this month have been released unharmed, the office of the governor of the state of Kaduna said on Sunday, days before a deadline to pay a $690,000 ransom.

The kidnapping of 287 students on March 7 in Kuriga, a dusty town in northwestern Kaduna state, was the first mass abduction in Africa’s most populous nation since 2021 when more than 150 students were taken from a high school in Kaduna.

A security source said the students were rescued in a forest in neighbouring Zamfara state and were being escorted by the army to the Kaduna capital for medical tests before being reunited with their families.

Abductions at Nigerian schools were first carried out by jihadist group Boko Haram, which seized 276 students from a girls’ school in Chibok in northeastern Borno State a decade ago. Some of the girls have never been released.

Since then the tactic has been widely adopted by criminal gangs without ideological affiliation.

Advertisement




Kaduna governor Uba Sani said the country’s National Security Adviser coordinated the release of the Kuriga schoolchildren. He did not provide further details.

“The Nigerian Army also deserves special commendation for showing that, with courage, determination and commitment, criminal elements can be degraded and security restored in our communities,” Sani said.

The gunmen last week demanded a total of 1 billion naira ($690,000) for release of the missing children and staff.

The government had said it would not pay any ransom. The practice was outlawed in 2022.

But kidnappings by criminal gangs demanding ransoms have become an almost daily occurrence, especially in northern Nigeria, tearing apart families and communities that have to pool savings to pay ransoms, often forcing them to sell land, cattle and grain to secure the release of their loved ones.

Advertisement




-Reuters

Continue Reading

Most Viewed