Connect with us

Governing Bodies

Breaking! Hayatou Is Not Dead –

Published

on

Breaking! Hayatou Is Not Dead -

Contrary to wide spread speculations on various social media platforms,  Sports Village Square has gathered from Cameroon  that the former CAF president is not dead.

The social media on Friday evening went agog with claims that Hayatou was dead.

On of the sources in Cameroon got in touch with Hayatou’s  personal secretary,  Lilian Obenson who is also a  cousin to a top journalist in Cameroon.
Hayatou, according to information is out of Cameroon.

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Governing Bodies

FIFA to consider changes to policy blocking league matches from being played in other countries

Published

on

World Cup Was Expanded To Help Scotland Qualify, FIFA's Infantino Jokes -

FIFA said it will consider changes to its policy that blocks league matches from being played in other countries as part of an agreement with a soccer promoter to dismiss the world governing body from a lawsuit challenging that policy.

Relevent Sports lawyer Jeffrey L. Kessler filed a letter Monday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan stating FIFA and his client agreed to the dismissal. Keller wrote FIFA agreed to abide by any injunction arising from the suit, which also includes the U.S. Soccer Federation as a defendant. The agreement did not alter the suit against the USSF.

“FIFA and Relevent have agreed to resolve this matter as it concerns FIFA, pending FIFA’s consideration of changes to existing FIFA policies with respect to playing official season games outside of a league’s home territory,” FIFA said in a statement. “FIFA has not admitted any liability and continues to deny the legal claims alleged in Relevent’s complaint.”

Relevent, controlled by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, announced in August 2018 it planned to host a Spanish league match between Barcelona and Girona at Miami Gardens, Florida, the following January.

In October 2018, FIFA said its ruling council adopted a policy that “emphasized the sporting principle that official league matches must be played within the territory of the respective member association.” Barcelona then withdrew its commitment to play in Florida.

Advertisement

Relevent in 2019 also was refused permission by the USSF to sanction a league match between two teams from Ecuador.

Relevent sued the governing bodies, claiming violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act and tortious interference.

“Bringing official matches from Europe to the U.S. is an exciting proposition but it must be done thoughtfully and collaboratively,” Relevent CEO Daniel Sillman said in a statement. “We look forward to partnering with FIFA to support the global growth of the game and the best leagues in the world.”

Caproni in July 2021 granted the USSF’s motion to dismiss the antitrust claim but the case was reinstated in March 2023 by the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The USSF asked the Supreme Court in August to take the case, and the Biden administration last month said the Supreme Court should let the appellate decision stand.

“FIFA and Relevent Sports have agreed to resolve this matter specific to FIFA while FIFA considers changes to its existing rules about whether games can be played outside of a league’s home territory,” the promoter said in a statement. “Relevent Sports looks forward to supporting FIFA as both sides work to grow the game.”

Advertisement

-AP

Continue Reading

Governing Bodies

It’s Mission Impossible!

Published

on

Super Eagles’ Coaching Job Now An All-comers Affair As NFF Throws The Gates Open -

The Nigeria Football Federation NFF after announcing that its U-15 team, Future Eagles will be Spain-bound on Tuesday has now recanted.

The football governing body had announced via press release and also on its website that the young lads were to participate  at the UEFA U16 Development Tournament starting on Friday.

But it has now turned to be a “Mission Impossible” The NFF within an hour of the press release made a counter announcement in its x-platform (formerly Twitter) stating:

“Players and officials of the Nigeria U15 team, Future Eagles, have been denied visas by the Spanish Embassy and will therefore not be travelling to take part in the UEFA U16 Development Tournament starting on Friday.”

Continue Reading

Governing Bodies

Godwins now reign in Edo State

Published

on

Omobayo Godwin is deputy governor to Godwin Obaseki

Barely minutes after the impeachment of Philip Shaibu as the deputy governor of Edo State, Governor Godwin Obaseki has appointed his namesake Omobayo Godwin as the successor.

The new deputy governor is a 38-year old engineer from Akoko Edo Local Government Area of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Most Viewed