Connect with us

AFCON

Odegbami turns a prophet, sees Nigeria – Cote d’Ivoire finale on February 11! –

Published

on

Odegbami Turns A Prophet, Sees Nigeria

Nigerian football legend, Segun Odegbami who won the Africa Cup of Nations with the then Green Eagles in 1980 and third placed in 1978 has prophesied that Nigeria and hosts, Cote d’Ivoire will play the Afcon final match on 11 February.

In essence, he sees Nigeria scaling the South African hurdle on Wednesday while Cote d’Ivoire too will defeat DR Congo in the semi-finals.

If the ‘prophesy comes to past, it will be the second time that Nigeria will face a team in its group stage at the final match.

That happened the last time Nigeria won the cup in 2013. The Super Eagles were held to a draw by Burkina Faso and later met in the final match which Nigeria won.

 

Advertisement

According to a press statement by the NFF, Odegbami addressed the Super Eagles at their Pullman Hotel in Abidjan on the eve of their encounter with Guinea Bissau which was the last group match.

“Some persons who were there did not quite share in his conviction that the Super Eagles would be champions”, remarked Ademola Olajire, the spokesman of the NFF.

“Today, many have been ‘converted’, and the 71-year- old legend says he is happy that things are going according to his expectations, Olajire concluded.

Odegbami.

 

Advertisement

“I said long before the finals that we would be champions of Africa. Many people thought I was just sounding off. Now, they are seeing their light. Everyone appears to believe now that the Super Eagles can do it”, Odegbami reportedly said.

 

“Now that we are in the semi-finals, I am seeing that we are going to be playing the host nation, Cote d’Ivoire in the Final. We are beating South Africa and Cote d’Ivoire will beat Democratic Republic of Congo. The stage is set for a classic Final match on February 11.”

 

 

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

AFCON

Renard Revisits AFCON 2025 “Towel Incident,” Cites Cultural Symbolism

Published

on

Terrible Hervé Renard Blow For Cote D’Ivoire -

French coach Herve Renard has reopened the debate around the controversial “towel incident” that marred the closing stages of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final between Morocco and Senegal.

Renard, who previously coached Morocco and now manages the Saudi Arabia national football team, addressed the episode in a recent interview with Jeune Afrique, describing it as a complex issue rooted partly in African football culture.

“The towel story is long and complicated. It has a certain significance, that’s all,” Renard said. He suggested that, if anyone attempted to remove the towel, it could have been intended to unsettle the opponent psychologically.

“In Europe, people don’t understand that there is something behind it. Was the towel charmed? In Africa, these are beliefs, and everyone is free to believe what they want,” he added.

Renard stressed that cultural context is often overlooked by outsiders. “Those who don’t know Africa cannot understand. In this case, Moroccans would never allow anyone to cross that line,” he said, while admitting he was unsure whether events unfolded exactly as widely portrayed. Drawing from his extensive coaching experience across the continent, he noted that similar charged atmospheres are not uncommon in high-stakes African fixtures.

Advertisement

The incident occurred during the final of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations Final in Rabat, where Senegal defeated Morocco 1–0 to lift the continental crown.

Late in the match, attention shifted away from the ball to Senegal goalkeeper Edouard Mendy’s towel, which had been placed inside his goal to dry his gloves amid wet conditions. As tensions rose in the closing minutes, substitute goalkeeper Yehvann Diouf attempted to safeguard the towel, resulting in a chaotic scene inside the penalty area.

Television footage — quickly dubbed a “towel tussle” — showed Moroccan midfielder Ismael Saibari blocking Diouf as he tried to return the towel to Mendy, while a ball boy also reached for it. Diouf later insisted he had merely been assisting Mendy and had no intention of disrupting play.

Images circulating after the match appeared to show Moroccan players attempting to remove the towel, sparking a heated debate. Some observers viewed it as gamesmanship designed to unsettle the Senegalese goalkeeper, while others linked the episode to longstanding superstitious beliefs within segments of African football culture.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) disciplinary committee subsequently sanctioned Saibari with a two-match suspension and a $100,000 fine. The midfielder later apologised to Mendy, stating that his actions had been misunderstood.

Advertisement

CAF’s refereeing chief, Olivier Safari, also addressed the matter in an interview with Canal+ Afrique.

“The towel is not part of a goalkeeper’s official equipment. Its use must remain within the spirit of fair play,” Safari explained. “If it influences the match, it must be removed from the playing area.”

His comments underscored the regulatory grey area surrounding auxiliary items such as towels, which are not formally recognised as playing equipment under the Laws of the Game but are commonly used for practical reasons.

 

While the final result stands and Senegal’s victory remains uncontested, the towel episode has lingered in public discourse — not merely as a fleeting controversy, but as a symbol of the psychological and cultural layers that often accompany African football.

Renard’s remarks add nuance to the debate, suggesting that what may appear trivial to some can carry deeper meaning in different footballing contexts.

Advertisement

Nearly a year after Senegal’s triumph in Rabat, the “towel incident” continues to provoke reflection, less about fabric inside a goalmouth, and more about the intersection of belief, psychology and competition at the highest level of African football.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

AFCON

AFCON Final Fallout Dominates CAF Executive Committee as Officiating Questions Surface

Published

on

The recent Executive Committee meeting of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) in Dar es Salaam has exposed fresh tensions within the continental governing body, with the controversial aftermath of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final in Morocco taking centre stage.

Although the formal agenda included discussions on tightening CAF’s Disciplinary Code, it was the lingering disputes surrounding the final that shaped the tone and direction of deliberations. The intensity of the exchanges underscored how deeply the events in Morocco have unsettled African football’s leadership.

CAF President Patrice Motsepe was unequivocal in his assessment, expressing that he was “extremely disappointed” by the incidents that marred the showpiece match. His public dissatisfaction with the sanctions handed down by the Disciplinary Committee signalled a broader concern within CAF that the current regulatory framework may lack the deterrent strength required for high-stakes fixtures.

Motsepe also reportedly questioned the standard of officiating during the final, a sensitive matter that appears to have triggered pointed internal scrutiny. His remarks effectively opened the door to deeper discussions about referee management, accountability and procedural consistency.

At the centre of the controversy are reported comments attributed to Olivier Safari Kabene, Chairman of CAF’s Referees Committee. According to specialised media outlets, Kabene acknowledged issuing instructions aimed at preventing the definitive abandonment of the final following the temporary withdrawal of Senegalese players from the pitch.

Advertisement

Under existing regulations, their return could have triggered immediate disciplinary measures, including warnings that might have placed Senegal at a numerical disadvantage, given that several players were already at risk of bookings. The alleged decision not to apply those sanctions — in order to avoid a premature termination of the match — raises fundamental questions about regulatory discretion during critical match situations.

If confirmed, such intervention would suggest a pragmatic approach prioritising match completion over strict procedural enforcement. However, it also exposes CAF to accusations of selective rule application, potentially undermining the integrity of its disciplinary structures.

Further complicating matters were reported claims from the head of refereeing that he had not been fully informed of the appointment of certain officials who handled matches during the tournament, despite participating in pre-competition preparatory meetings. Such assertions, if accurate, could point to deeper governance and communication gaps within CAF’s internal systems.

Beyond the immediate controversy, the Dar es Salaam meeting may mark a turning point for CAF. The call to strengthen the Disciplinary Code now appears inseparable from broader institutional reforms concerning referee appointments, transparency and crisis management protocols.

For a confederation seeking to consolidate its credibility and commercial growth, the handling of the 2025 AFCON final may ultimately prove as significant off the pitch as the match itself.

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

AFCON

CAF Considers Expanding AFCON to 28 Teams as Competition Reforms Gather Pace

Published

on

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) is considering a further expansion of the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), with plans underway to increase the number of participating teams from 24 to 28 in future editions.

CAF President Patrice Motsepe disclosed the proposal during a press conference following the Executive Committee meeting, confirming that regulatory amendments and structural reforms are currently under discussion.

“We plan to increase the number of participants in the Africa Cup of Nations from 24 to 28 teams,” Motsepe said.

If approved, the expansion would mark another major shift for Africa’s flagship tournament, coming just eight years after CAF raised the number of finalists from 16 to 24 teams in 2019. Under the proposed reform, the 2027 edition could be the last to feature the current 24-team format before the new structure is introduced.

The proposal forms part of broader discussions within CAF aimed at modernising competition frameworks and strengthening inclusivity across the continent. However, it also arrives at a time when questions persist about infrastructure readiness and logistical coordination for the 2027 tournament in East Africa.

Advertisement

The Africa Cup of Nations has evolved significantly since its modest beginnings in 1957.

The inaugural tournament, staged in Sudan, featured just three teams — Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia — after South Africa was disqualified due to its apartheid policy. Egypt emerged as champions in what was effectively a triangular competition.

By 1962, the tournament expanded to four teams, introducing a structured semifinal and final format. A more substantial shift came in 1968 when AFCON grew to eight teams, allowing for a full group-stage format. This era coincided with the rapid growth of football across newly independent African nations.

In 1992, CAF doubled participation to 16 teams, reflecting the continent’s expanding competitive base and the growing global presence of African footballers. The 16-team structure endured for 25 years and produced some of AFCON’s most memorable moments.

A further expansion came in 2019, when Egypt hosted the first 24-team edition. The move broadened representation, enhanced commercial value and increased broadcasting reach, although it initially sparked debate over competitive balance.

Advertisement

Now, with a possible increase to 28 teams on the horizon, CAF appears poised to continue reshaping the tournament in line with the continent’s football growth and expanding membership.

Should the proposal be ratified, it would represent another landmark in AFCON’s evolution — from a three-team event in Khartoum to a nearly 30-nation continental championship with global visibility.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Most Viewed