Connect with us

Boxing

Dubois appeals to WBA over Usyk fight, wants rematch

Published

on

Daniel Dubois has formally appealed to the World Boxing Association (WBA) to declare his loss to Ukraine’s world heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk last month a No Contest and order a rematch.

The 26-year-old British challenger suffered a ninth-round knockout in the fight in Wroclaw, Poland, on Aug. 26 but said he was “cheated out of victory” by a low blow controversy when Usyk went down in the fifth.

Usyk, who retained his WBA, WBO and IBF belts, was given nearly four minutes to compose himself after being hit on the band of his shorts.

Dubois’ promoter Frank Warren said it had been a legitimate shot by his fighter.

“The WBA, now that it has received a formal appeal from Dubois’ team, will proceed with a review as per the regulations,” the WBA said in a statement.

Advertisement

“Any decision made regarding this situation will be made under WBA rules and communicated in a timely and appropriate manner.”

Warren told the BBC that the appeal had been lodged on Tuesday by his Queensberry Promotions.

Usyk’s promoter Alexander Krassyuk said on the night of the fight that he saw “several low blows” from Dubois.

“Everyone wants the rematch after he loses a fight,” he added.

Reuters

Advertisement

 

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Boxing

Usyk considering stepping down to cruiserweight after Fury rematch

Published

on

Undisputed heavyweight world champion Oleksandr Usyk said he may return to the cruiserweight division following his rematch with British heavyweight Tyson Fury later this year.

Usyk – now the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO champion – defeated Fury by split decision in a thrilling contest at the Kingdom Arena in Riyadh to become undisputed heavyweight champion.

The Ukrainian was previously the undisputed cruiserweight champion before moving up to heavyweight in 2019.

“I think maybe after the rematch, I am going to go down in weight to cruiserweight. I want more cruiserweight,” Usyk said in an episode of the ‘3 Knockdown Rule’ podcast released on Wednesday.

“Maybe I can be undisputed for a second time in the cruiserweight division, it’s my plan. When I start to prepare for my training camp (as a heavyweight), I have to eat all the time. For me it’s hard, I don’t like it.”

Advertisement

Usyk, 37, is the first undisputed heavyweight champion since the end of Lennox Lewis’ reign in April 2000. He will face Fury in a rematch on Dec. 21 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. REUTERS

Continue Reading

Boxing

Usyk-Fury heavyweight rematch set for Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia

Published

on

The heavyweight rematch between undisputed world champion Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury will take place on Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia, according to the advisor who organizes boxing events in the kingdom.

Turki Alalshikh, chairman of Saudi Arabia’s General Entertainment Authority, confirmed the date of the fight on X, formerly Twitter, on Wednesday. He said it will take place in Riyadh, the location of the first fight on May 19.

“The world will watch another historical fight again,” he wrote. “Our commitment to boxing fans continues … We hope you enjoy it.”

Usyk became the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 2000 when he defeated Fury by split decision, earning a narrow win on two scorecards. The 37-year-old Ukrainian is the first heavyweight to hold every major title belt since Lennox Lewis.

It was Fury’s first loss as a professional.

Advertisement

-AP

Continue Reading

Boxing

Furious Fury to clash again with Usyk in October

Published

on

All hope is not lost for Tyson Fury who lost his WBC heavyweight championship belt to Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia early this Sunday morning.

Both boxer had agreed before the unification bout that the loser of their fight would be eligible to trigger a rematch.

Owing to the two-way rematch clause, there will be a second showdown. As for a date, nothing is set in stone. The hopeful Saudi boxing chief Turki Alalshikh confirmed that a rematch is likely to go ahead on 12th/13th October 2024, not taking into account exceptional circumstances such as injuries or unforeseen events.

Continue Reading

Most Viewed