As Ghana’s Medeama SC play against Nigeria’s vice chaampions, Remo Stars, the lesson of history hugely weigh against them. Sports Village Square has gathered from Ghanaian news outlet, ghanasportspage.com that the country’s clubs have a bad history in away matches.
Ghanasportspage.com takes a look at the last ten results chalked by Ghanaian clubs in away matches of the CAF Champions League.
As a matter of fact no Ghanaian team has ever secured qualification to any round of the CAF Champions League on foreign soil since Berekum Chelsea did so in 2014 against Atlabara FC of South Sudan. Again only one Ghanaian team has been able to win a Champions League match on the road in the last 11 years and that is Asante Kotoko in September 2022.
Performance of Ghanaian teams in Away Matches of the CAF Champions League : The Last 10 Results (1 win , 2 draws , 7 defeats).
- 2022/23 season: Preliminary Round. RC Kadiogo 0 Asante Kotoko 1 on 12th September 2022 in Cotonou. Isaac Oppong 92nd minute goal. However , the Porcupine Warriors lost the second leg at the Kumasi Babayara sports stadium by the same margin as the Bukrina Faso opponents won the ensuing penalty shootout by 3-1 to advance.
- 2021/22Second Round. WAC 6 Hearts of Oak 1 on 25th October 2021. The Phobians won the first leg by 1-0 in Accra before suffering a humiliating defeat in the reverse encounter in Morocco.
- 2020/21 season : Preliminary Round. FC Nouadhibou 1 Asante Kotoko 1on 29th November 2020 at the Stade Cheikha Ould Boïdiya, Nouadhibou. Osman Ibrahim 6th minute / 22nd minute equalizer by Hemeya Tanjy.
- 2019/20 season : Preliminary round: Kano Pillars(Nigeria) 3 Asante Kotoko 2 on 10 Aug 2019. Adam 12th. Rabiu Ali 70th. Mohammed Gambo 75th min/ Justice Blay 52nd. Godfred Asiamah 62nd Kotoko went ahead to win the second leg by 2-0 in Kumasi to advance.
- 2019/20 season : First Round : Etoiledu Sahel 3 Asante Kotoko 0 on 29 Sept 2019 in Monastir Stade Mustpaha Ben Jannet. Ouanes 25th min pen. Karim Aribi 67th. Karim Aribi 85th The Reds had won the first leg by 2-0 in Kumasi.
- 2018 season : Preliminary round: Al-Tahaddy (Libya) 1 Aduana Stars 0 on 11 Feb 2018 at Petro Sport Stadium, Cairo (Egypt). Mahmoud Ali Salem 34th The Ogya Boys won the second leg by 2-0 in Dormaa to advance.
- 2018 season : First Round: ES Setif 4 Aduana Stars 0 on 18 March 2018. Mourad Benayad Goal 27′. Mohamed Ziti Goal 43′. Abdlekader Bedrane Goal 61′. Abdelhakim Amokrane Goal 89′. Aduana won the first leg at home with a 1-0 score line.
- 2017 season : Preliminary round : Al-Ahli Tripoli 2 Wa All Stars0 on 19 Feb 2017 at Stade El Menzah, Tunis (Tunisia)[. Muaid Ellafi 2nd Anis Saltou 64th . Teams from Libya were not allowed to host their home matches in their country due to security concerns. All Stars now known as Legon Cities were also battered 3-1 in Tamale by the Libyan side who were too powerful for the Ghanaian team.
- 2016 season : Preliminary round: MO Bejaia 3 Ashantigold 1. L. on 28 Feb 2016. Yakubu Mohamed 10th min own goal. Sofiane Khadir 58th . Okacha Hamzaoui 61st / Emmanuel Osei Carlos 40th Coach of Ashgold was Bashiru Hayford. The Miners had won the first leg by 1-0 in Obuasi.
- 2015 season : Preliminary round: MC Eulma (Algeria) 0 Asante Kotoko 0 on 14 March 2015. The Kumasi-based side also lost the return leg by 2-1 at the Babayara sports stadium to crush out of the competition.