Connect with us

Boxing

Anthony Joshua’s nemesis, Usyk beat another British boxer to retain world titles

Published

on

WBA, IBF & WBO Heavyweight Titles - Oleksandr Usyk v Daniel Dubois - Tarczynski Arena, Wroclaw, Poland - August 26, 2023 Oleksandr Usyk in action during his fight against Daniel Dubois REUTERS/Kacper Pempel Acquire Licensing Rights

Ukraine’s Oleksandr Usyk who snatched the world heavyweight boxing titles from Anthony Joshua has knocked out British challenger Daniel Dubois in nine rounds on Saturday to retain his WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight boxing world titles in a fight overshadowed by a low blow controversy.

Puerto Rican referee Luis Pabon counted out Dubois after he went down 48 seconds into the ninth round at the open-air Tarczynski Arena in Wroclaw, Poland.

Dubois was also given a nine count at the end of the previous round but the key moment came in round five when Usyk, now with a record of 21-0, went down gasping for breath after being hit on the band of his shorts.

The referee ruled it a low blow and told Usyk to take his time as he remained on the canvas grimacing and shaking his head, with the round eventually continuing.

Dubois, who lasted longer than expected but took some big blows with blood oozing from his nose early in round nine, said the blow was legal.

Advertisement

“I’ve been cheated out of victory tonight,” he told TNT Sports in the ring.

His promoter Frank Warren agreed with the fighter and called for a rematch.

“That referee got it badly wrong. If it’s a low blow why didn’t he take points off him. I like Usyk but that was a home town decision, a complete home town decision. He (Dubois) won that fight.

“They gave him a couple of minutes to recover from a legitimate shot.

“The governing bodies will have to do something about it and they will order a rematch,” he added. “How can you not order a rematch on the strength of that? They have to. Justice has to be done.”

Advertisement

Usyk had been in control of the fight against a 25-year-old regarded by most as an underdog for whom victory would have ranked as a major upset.

The Ukrainian said he was now ready to fight WBA heavyweight champion Tyson Fury if the Briton was willing.

“Will Tyson Fury? I have no idea,” said the 36-year-old after dancing in the ring as his fans cheered.

Dubois’s chance came after a bout to unify the titles fell apart last March.

Russia’s invasion of neighbouring Ukraine hung over the evening, with seven Ukrainians on the undercard and a pre-fight video address from Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy to a stadium decked out in the country’s yellow and blue colours.

Advertisement

“Tonight Wroclaw will witness something very special,” Zelenskiy told the 40,000-strong crowd gathered on a rainy evening.

“Ukrainians, Brits, Poles and the whole world tonight on the eve of the 550th day since the full-scale Russian invasion has started and we keep standing and Ukraine is fighting because of the strength you’ll see.

“The strength of our people as mighty as Oleksandr Usyk, the strength of our friends as solid as Daniel Dubois.”

-Reuters

 

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Boxing

Usyk considering stepping down to cruiserweight after Fury rematch

Published

on

Undisputed heavyweight world champion Oleksandr Usyk said he may return to the cruiserweight division following his rematch with British heavyweight Tyson Fury later this year.

Usyk – now the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO champion – defeated Fury by split decision in a thrilling contest at the Kingdom Arena in Riyadh to become undisputed heavyweight champion.

The Ukrainian was previously the undisputed cruiserweight champion before moving up to heavyweight in 2019.

“I think maybe after the rematch, I am going to go down in weight to cruiserweight. I want more cruiserweight,” Usyk said in an episode of the ‘3 Knockdown Rule’ podcast released on Wednesday.

“Maybe I can be undisputed for a second time in the cruiserweight division, it’s my plan. When I start to prepare for my training camp (as a heavyweight), I have to eat all the time. For me it’s hard, I don’t like it.”

Advertisement

Usyk, 37, is the first undisputed heavyweight champion since the end of Lennox Lewis’ reign in April 2000. He will face Fury in a rematch on Dec. 21 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. REUTERS

Continue Reading

Boxing

Usyk-Fury heavyweight rematch set for Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia

Published

on

The heavyweight rematch between undisputed world champion Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury will take place on Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia, according to the advisor who organizes boxing events in the kingdom.

Turki Alalshikh, chairman of Saudi Arabia’s General Entertainment Authority, confirmed the date of the fight on X, formerly Twitter, on Wednesday. He said it will take place in Riyadh, the location of the first fight on May 19.

“The world will watch another historical fight again,” he wrote. “Our commitment to boxing fans continues … We hope you enjoy it.”

Usyk became the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 2000 when he defeated Fury by split decision, earning a narrow win on two scorecards. The 37-year-old Ukrainian is the first heavyweight to hold every major title belt since Lennox Lewis.

It was Fury’s first loss as a professional.

Advertisement

-AP

Continue Reading

Boxing

Furious Fury to clash again with Usyk in October

Published

on

All hope is not lost for Tyson Fury who lost his WBC heavyweight championship belt to Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia early this Sunday morning.

Both boxer had agreed before the unification bout that the loser of their fight would be eligible to trigger a rematch.

Owing to the two-way rematch clause, there will be a second showdown. As for a date, nothing is set in stone. The hopeful Saudi boxing chief Turki Alalshikh confirmed that a rematch is likely to go ahead on 12th/13th October 2024, not taking into account exceptional circumstances such as injuries or unforeseen events.

Continue Reading

Most Viewed