Connect with us

Boxing

Anthony Joshua breaks silence on Dillian Whyte rematch

Published

on

Anthony Joshua has spoken about training for his next fight (Image: YouTube)

Former heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has spoken about his desire to face Dillian Whyte in a rematch this summer as he sets his sights on winning another world title

Anthony Joshua has opened up about his desire to agree to a rematch with Dillian Whyte.

The former world champion earned a TKO win over Whyte in 2015 and looks set to face him for a second time as he continues his attempt to climb back to the top of the heavyweight rankings. Following back-to-back defeats to Oleksandr Usk, ‘AJ’ returned with an unconvincing win over Jermaine Franklin in April.

Joshua has been sounded out by Saudi Arabian promotion company Skills Challenge Entertainment to face Deontay Wilder in December. However, the Olympic gold medalist hopes to face Whye at The O2 on August 12 and has explained why he is refusing to wait until the end of the year for his next fight after heading out to Dallas to begin his training camp.

“What am I doing this fight for? I want to become three-time heavyweight champion of the world. I want to test myself,” he told his YouTube channel. “I’ve been through a lot and I want to see what I have left to give. When I say what I have left to give, I am not resting on what I have, I am building on what I have and I want to see how far I can take myself.

Advertisement

“I know what it takes, I know what this game is about and I’m going to push myself beyond the limits where I’ve been before, hence why I find myself in Dallas because I’m trying to find an environment that can stimulate me, motivate me and push me onto higher highs.”

There have been disputes between Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn and Whyte over rematch clauses and other aspects of the contract, with Agit Kabayel suggested to be one of two possible back-up opponents if the quick-fire fight talks fell through. However, a representative for Whyte’s camp confirmed to ESPN that a contract has been signed.

“Dillian returned the signed agreement on Sunday morning ET and that he is unaware of any other party being in the frame for the fight. He is looking forward to fighting Anthony Joshua for a second time on Aug. 12 at The O2.

-MEN

 

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Boxing

Usyk considering stepping down to cruiserweight after Fury rematch

Published

on

Undisputed heavyweight world champion Oleksandr Usyk said he may return to the cruiserweight division following his rematch with British heavyweight Tyson Fury later this year.

Usyk – now the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO champion – defeated Fury by split decision in a thrilling contest at the Kingdom Arena in Riyadh to become undisputed heavyweight champion.

The Ukrainian was previously the undisputed cruiserweight champion before moving up to heavyweight in 2019.

“I think maybe after the rematch, I am going to go down in weight to cruiserweight. I want more cruiserweight,” Usyk said in an episode of the ‘3 Knockdown Rule’ podcast released on Wednesday.

“Maybe I can be undisputed for a second time in the cruiserweight division, it’s my plan. When I start to prepare for my training camp (as a heavyweight), I have to eat all the time. For me it’s hard, I don’t like it.”

Advertisement

Usyk, 37, is the first undisputed heavyweight champion since the end of Lennox Lewis’ reign in April 2000. He will face Fury in a rematch on Dec. 21 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. REUTERS

Continue Reading

Boxing

Usyk-Fury heavyweight rematch set for Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia

Published

on

The heavyweight rematch between undisputed world champion Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury will take place on Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia, according to the advisor who organizes boxing events in the kingdom.

Turki Alalshikh, chairman of Saudi Arabia’s General Entertainment Authority, confirmed the date of the fight on X, formerly Twitter, on Wednesday. He said it will take place in Riyadh, the location of the first fight on May 19.

“The world will watch another historical fight again,” he wrote. “Our commitment to boxing fans continues … We hope you enjoy it.”

Usyk became the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 2000 when he defeated Fury by split decision, earning a narrow win on two scorecards. The 37-year-old Ukrainian is the first heavyweight to hold every major title belt since Lennox Lewis.

It was Fury’s first loss as a professional.

Advertisement

-AP

Continue Reading

Boxing

Furious Fury to clash again with Usyk in October

Published

on

All hope is not lost for Tyson Fury who lost his WBC heavyweight championship belt to Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia early this Sunday morning.

Both boxer had agreed before the unification bout that the loser of their fight would be eligible to trigger a rematch.

Owing to the two-way rematch clause, there will be a second showdown. As for a date, nothing is set in stone. The hopeful Saudi boxing chief Turki Alalshikh confirmed that a rematch is likely to go ahead on 12th/13th October 2024, not taking into account exceptional circumstances such as injuries or unforeseen events.

Continue Reading

Most Viewed