Connect with us

POLITICS

Morocco condemns Sweden’s burning of Quran in mosque

Published

on

The Kingdom of Morocco has strongly condemned the alleged Sweden’s Government’s authorisation of burning of Holy Quran in front of a mosque in Stockholm.

Consequently, Morocco has recalled its ambassador to Stockholm and summoned Sweden’s charge d’affaires in Rabat.

A statement from the Moroccan News Agency, MAP, made available reads in part: “On the very High Instructions of His Majesty King Mohammed VI, Commander of the Faithful, may God assist Him, the Chargé d’Affaires of the Kingdom of Sweden in Rabat was summoned this Wednesday to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccan Expatriates, and the Ambassador of His Majesty the King to Sweden was recalled to the Kingdom for indefinite consultations, after the Swedish government once again authorized a demonstration on the same day during which the Holy Quran was burned in front of a mosque in Stockholm.”

 

A statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccan Expatriates stated that during the summons, the Swedish diplomat was informed of the Kingdom of Morocco’s “most vigorous condemnation of this offence and rejection of this unacceptable act.”

Advertisement

“This new offensive and irresponsible act disregards the feelings of more than a billion Muslims during this sacred period of the great pilgrimage to Mecca and the blessed feast of Eid Al-Adha,” the statement stressed.

 

“Regardless of the political positions or differences that may exist between countries, the Kingdom considers it unacceptable that the faith of Muslims should be disrespected in this way, nor can the principles of tolerance and the values of universalism be reduced to accommodating the views of a few while showing so little regard for the beliefs of more than a billion Muslims,” the statement added.

 

Several Muslim-majority countries have also condemned the burning of a copy of the Quran in Sweden at a protest.

Advertisement

 

The problem began when a certain Salwan Momika, said to be an Iraqi living in Sweden, set fire to a copy of the Muslim text in front of Stockholm’s central mosque on Wednesday.

 

Middle Eastern nations including Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt strongly criticised the burning. And Turkey, a Nato member with a say over whether Sweden gains membership, called it a “despicable act”.

 

Advertisement

Turkey – which was also angered by a Quran burning protest earlier this year  – said it was “unacceptable” to allow such “anti-Islamic actions” to take place “under the pretext of freedom of expression”.

 

Muslims consider the Quran the sacred word of God and view any intentional damage or show of disrespect towards it as deeply offensive.

 

The Quran burning on Wednesday took place as Muslims around the world celebrated the first day of Eid al-Adha, one of the most important festivals in the Muslim calendar.

Advertisement

 

Swedish police had given Mr Momika a permit for the protest, in accordance with free-speech laws. But later police said the incident was being investigated for incitement of hatred.

 

The protest sparked anger among other nations too.

 

Advertisement

Iraq said the incident was “a reflection of a hateful aggressive spirit that has nothing to do with freedom of expression.”

 

Iran echoed Iraq’s criticism, calling the act of burning the Quran “provocative” and “unacceptable”, while Egypt described it as a “shameful” act which was especially provocative as Muslims mark Eid al-Adha.

 

Saudi Arabia – the destination of around 1.8m worshippers on the annual Hajj pilgrimage this week – said “these hateful and repeated acts cannot be accepted with any justification.”

Advertisement

 

Sweden’s Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said the Quran burning was “legal but not appropriate”.

Plans to burn copies of the Quran have sparked riots in Sweden in recent months.

 

Police had rejected similar protest applications recently, but courts then ruled that they should be allowed on freedom of expression grounds.

Advertisement

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

POLITICS

King Mohammed VI Invites Tinubu To Morocco –

Published

on

1678458348_816_52e605f5-tinubu-and-mohammed-vi.png

Morocco’s monarch, King Mohammed VI has invited Nigeria’s President Bola Ahmed Adekunle Tinubu to Morocco after having a telephone conversation with the Nigerian leader. According to a statement  during a phone exchange that took place today.

A statement from the royal palace said that the two leaders discussed the development of bilateral relations between Morocco and Nigeria over the past few years.

The discussion also covered the African-Atlantic Gas Pipeline, which is a structuring project between Nigeria and Morocco that will be a strategic lever for regional integration and socio-economic development for all West African countries.

Initiated in 2016 first by King Mohammed VI and former president of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari, the pipeline aims to promote regional integration and reinforce Africa’s energy security. Morocco is set to host over 1600 kilometers of the project, which is 5,600 kilometers long in total.

King Mohammed VI has frequently emphasized the importance of the project, reiterating Morocco’s commitment to the pipeline project with Nigeria.In November 2023, during a speech the King gave commemorating the Green March, he stressed the potential benefits that the pipeline could bring not only to Africa but also to Europe.

Advertisement

“The Morocco-Nigeria gas pipeline  strategic project is part of that endeavor,” he said, referring to the purpose of the project; to promote regional integration and boost economic growth.
The pipeline is set to connect over 11 countries in the region to benefit from Nigerian gas sources.
Many countries have endorsed the project, including Senegal.

Continue Reading

POLITICS

US reaffirms support for Morocco’s Autonomy Plan on Western Sahara

Published

on

The US State Department has affirmed the country’s support for Morocco on the Western Sahara issue.

In a statement of support issued on Sunday, the Americans remarked: “There is no change in the clear and consistent U.S. position regarding the Moroccan Sahara issue.”

 

The statement is published on the eve of the visit to Morocco of U.S. Assistant Secretary for North Africa Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs Joshua Harris, the State Department stressed that during his talks in Rabat, the U.S. official will reiterate that “there is no change in the clear and consistent U.S. position.”

This new reaffirmation of the consistency of Washington’s position provides a scathing denial of the fallacious allegations conveyed by some Algerian media outlets which have insinuated, following the recent visit to Algiers made by the U.S. official, an alleged change in the U.S. position on the Sahara issue.

Advertisement

“The United States fully supports UN Personal Envoy de Mistura in facilitating the negotiations process to achieve a just, lasting, and mutually acceptable solution for the Sahara,” the statement points out.

After recalling that the United States “believes a negotiated political solution should be realized without further delay,” the same source underlines that “the outcome of UN-led negotiations – mutually agreed to by the parties and reflecting their commitment to UN efforts in a spirit of realism and compromise – would constitute the final resolution to this issue.”

“In this regard, the United States continues to view Morocco’s Autonomy Proposal as serious, credible, and realistic,” it says.

The visit to Rabat of Deputy Assistant Secretary Joshua Harris will also focus on the means to further strengthen the U.S.-Morocco partnership in addition to a range of regional security priorities, the statement stress

Advertisement
Continue Reading

POLITICS

Morocco, UAE strengthen ties

Published

on

King Mohammed VI of Morocco and President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan of the United Arab Emirates

Morocco’s monarch, King Mohammed VI and United Arab Emirate’s President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan on Monday engaged in high-level talks aimed at bolstering bilateral cooperation on Monday.

They issued a press release in which both countries highlighted the mutual appreciation and deep-rooted affection.

King Mohammed VI commended President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan for successfully overseeing the 28th Conference of the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP 28) held in Dubai.

The meeting showcased the two countries’ shared commitment to boost ties, with emphasis on a multidimensional partnership across many spheres.

King Mohammed VI underscored Morocco’s strides in infrastructure and structural reforms, outlining a vision of economic and social development through strategic investments.

Advertisement

On his part, President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan hailed Morocco’s potential as an investment hub, acknowledging the nation’s diverse assets and conducive business climate. The leaders affirmed their intent to cultivate innovative partnerships, exploring collaborative ventures that would benefit both nations economically and socially.

They also expressed keen interest in implementing joint action plans based on signed agreements, aiming to pioneer common partnerships in regional and international markets.

King Mohammed VI extended gratitude to President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan for the UAE’s unwavering support on national issues and Morocco’s development.

The talks concluded with an optimistic outlook, fostering a renewed sense of cooperation and shared aspirations for the future.

Following the talks, the two leaders signed a joint declaration, committing to boosting bilateral ties and cooperation in a wide range of sectors.

Advertisement

The declaration is titled “Towards an Innovative, Renewed, and Deep-rooted Partnership,” and aims to strengthen ties between the two countries through win-win economic ties.

The declaration’s text indicates that King Mohammed VI’s visit to the UAE came at the invitation of Al Nahyan.

“During their bilateral talks… the two Heads of State reiterated their firm and resolute commitment to elevate the relations between the two countries and their mutual cooperation towards broader horizons, through active economic partnerships serving their shared supreme interests, generating progress and prosperity for the two brotherly peoples,” the declaration reads.

The declaration expresses the two countries’ desire to work towards elevating bilateral ties in economic, commercial, investment, and industrial aspects to the “level of deep political” ties to serve the development goals of both countries.

The two countries also aspire to establish a model of comprehensive and balanced economic and investment cooperation open to the private sector, attracting benefits for both.

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

Most Viewed