Connect with us

Boxing

Breaking! Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua fight now confirmed

Published

on

Tyson Fury has stated that his team are back in discussions with Anthony Joshua over a potential heavyweight clash.

The WBC champion failed to reach an agreement for an undisputed fight with Oleksandr Usyk, who now looks to be in line to take on Daniel Dubois later this year. Meanwhile, AJ has seemingly set his sights on a showdown with Deontay Wilder after talks between Joshua and Fury’s camps failed to lead to a fight last December.

However, Fury revived the idea that the big-money fight could still take place after admitting that his team had sent an offer to Joshua. This was then confirmed by Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn, who also shared AJ’s reaction to the proposal. Here are all the latest updates on the potential Fury vs Joshua fight:

Tyson Fury sends ‘draft contract’

The WBC champion reignited talk of the long-anticipated fight taking place with a social media post over the weekend. Fury stated he had sent a “draft contract” to AJ’s camp for a bout at Wembley Stadium for September.

It is well-documented that Fury is looking for an opponent ahead of a unification fight with Usyk at the end of the year. With several contenders already out of the running, the likes of Andy Ruiz, Dempsey McKean and Jai Opetaia have all been touted as possible opponents for Fury.

Advertisement

Eddie Hearn responds

Hearn confirmed that he had been contacted by Fury’s promoter George Warren and stated that the terms were identical to the pair’s proposed meeting in December. However Joshua’s promoter insisted that the former world champion was currently targeting a fight in August before facing Deontay Wilder at the end of the year.

Joshua is looking to improve with another training camp under coach Derrick James before taking on the ‘Bronze Bomber’. Hearn revealed that AJ “laughed” when he learned of Fury’s approach and the promoter summed up his feelings towards the potential bout: “Of course we’re interested in that fight. We just don’t know what to think. The confidence we have in basing our plans around Tyson Fury is very thin but it’s my job to go through those motions.”

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Boxing

Usyk considering stepping down to cruiserweight after Fury rematch

Published

on

Undisputed heavyweight world champion Oleksandr Usyk said he may return to the cruiserweight division following his rematch with British heavyweight Tyson Fury later this year.

Usyk – now the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO champion – defeated Fury by split decision in a thrilling contest at the Kingdom Arena in Riyadh to become undisputed heavyweight champion.

The Ukrainian was previously the undisputed cruiserweight champion before moving up to heavyweight in 2019.

“I think maybe after the rematch, I am going to go down in weight to cruiserweight. I want more cruiserweight,” Usyk said in an episode of the ‘3 Knockdown Rule’ podcast released on Wednesday.

“Maybe I can be undisputed for a second time in the cruiserweight division, it’s my plan. When I start to prepare for my training camp (as a heavyweight), I have to eat all the time. For me it’s hard, I don’t like it.”

Advertisement

Usyk, 37, is the first undisputed heavyweight champion since the end of Lennox Lewis’ reign in April 2000. He will face Fury in a rematch on Dec. 21 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. REUTERS

Continue Reading

Boxing

Usyk-Fury heavyweight rematch set for Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia

Published

on

The heavyweight rematch between undisputed world champion Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury will take place on Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia, according to the advisor who organizes boxing events in the kingdom.

Turki Alalshikh, chairman of Saudi Arabia’s General Entertainment Authority, confirmed the date of the fight on X, formerly Twitter, on Wednesday. He said it will take place in Riyadh, the location of the first fight on May 19.

“The world will watch another historical fight again,” he wrote. “Our commitment to boxing fans continues … We hope you enjoy it.”

Usyk became the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 2000 when he defeated Fury by split decision, earning a narrow win on two scorecards. The 37-year-old Ukrainian is the first heavyweight to hold every major title belt since Lennox Lewis.

It was Fury’s first loss as a professional.

Advertisement

-AP

Continue Reading

Boxing

Furious Fury to clash again with Usyk in October

Published

on

All hope is not lost for Tyson Fury who lost his WBC heavyweight championship belt to Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia early this Sunday morning.

Both boxer had agreed before the unification bout that the loser of their fight would be eligible to trigger a rematch.

Owing to the two-way rematch clause, there will be a second showdown. As for a date, nothing is set in stone. The hopeful Saudi boxing chief Turki Alalshikh confirmed that a rematch is likely to go ahead on 12th/13th October 2024, not taking into account exceptional circumstances such as injuries or unforeseen events.

Continue Reading

Most Viewed