Connect with us

Boxing

Anthony Joshua set to spend on huge London property

Published

on

Anthony Joshua is set to brush off competitors as he bids to invest in a huge property located in one of the most exclusive streets of London.

According to reports, the property is worth £25 million. Joshua’s purse in his defeat of America’s Jermaine Franklin is £20 million.

That has prompted the 33-year old to make good investment of his fortune having become one of the most recognisable stars in British sports.

The property he wants to buy is located at 73 Bond Street. He has reportedly beaten a number of rival bidders to the exclusive address.

According to Manchester Evening News, Joshua has built an impressive net worth of a reported £170m for a highly impressive career which has seen him twice become a world champion, most notably selling out Wembley Stadium in 2017.

Advertisement

This is in addition to a number of lucrative commercial partnerships forged by the former WBA, WBO and IBF champion, with broadcast partnerships with DAZN and Sky Sports in addition to deals with brands such as Lynx, Lucozade and Under Armour.

Also reported by the Sun in the UK, a source close to Joshua is quoted as saying: “He has always had his eye on the bigger picture when it comes to business and wealth.” They added.

“He eclipses most other stars when it comes to how to handle great wealth.”

With the star still able to draw in £20 million purses for non-world title contests, the Watford born fighter still has plenty of earning potential ahead of a prospective fight against Dillian Whyte this summer.

This could precede a fight against Tyson Fury in the future, with that fight having the potential to be the biggest ever in British boxing history.

Advertisement

 

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Boxing

Usyk considering stepping down to cruiserweight after Fury rematch

Published

on

Undisputed heavyweight world champion Oleksandr Usyk said he may return to the cruiserweight division following his rematch with British heavyweight Tyson Fury later this year.

Usyk – now the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO champion – defeated Fury by split decision in a thrilling contest at the Kingdom Arena in Riyadh to become undisputed heavyweight champion.

The Ukrainian was previously the undisputed cruiserweight champion before moving up to heavyweight in 2019.

“I think maybe after the rematch, I am going to go down in weight to cruiserweight. I want more cruiserweight,” Usyk said in an episode of the ‘3 Knockdown Rule’ podcast released on Wednesday.

“Maybe I can be undisputed for a second time in the cruiserweight division, it’s my plan. When I start to prepare for my training camp (as a heavyweight), I have to eat all the time. For me it’s hard, I don’t like it.”

Advertisement

Usyk, 37, is the first undisputed heavyweight champion since the end of Lennox Lewis’ reign in April 2000. He will face Fury in a rematch on Dec. 21 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. REUTERS

Continue Reading

Boxing

Usyk-Fury heavyweight rematch set for Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia

Published

on

The heavyweight rematch between undisputed world champion Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury will take place on Dec. 21 in Saudi Arabia, according to the advisor who organizes boxing events in the kingdom.

Turki Alalshikh, chairman of Saudi Arabia’s General Entertainment Authority, confirmed the date of the fight on X, formerly Twitter, on Wednesday. He said it will take place in Riyadh, the location of the first fight on May 19.

“The world will watch another historical fight again,” he wrote. “Our commitment to boxing fans continues … We hope you enjoy it.”

Usyk became the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 2000 when he defeated Fury by split decision, earning a narrow win on two scorecards. The 37-year-old Ukrainian is the first heavyweight to hold every major title belt since Lennox Lewis.

It was Fury’s first loss as a professional.

Advertisement

-AP

Continue Reading

Boxing

Furious Fury to clash again with Usyk in October

Published

on

All hope is not lost for Tyson Fury who lost his WBC heavyweight championship belt to Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia early this Sunday morning.

Both boxer had agreed before the unification bout that the loser of their fight would be eligible to trigger a rematch.

Owing to the two-way rematch clause, there will be a second showdown. As for a date, nothing is set in stone. The hopeful Saudi boxing chief Turki Alalshikh confirmed that a rematch is likely to go ahead on 12th/13th October 2024, not taking into account exceptional circumstances such as injuries or unforeseen events.

Continue Reading

Most Viewed