Connect with us

Boxing

Fury says he would come out of retirement to face Joshua for free

Published

on

WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has said he would return to the ring to fight Anthony Joshua in their native England provided the bout was free to watch and attend.

Fury (32-0-1) in June said he was “over” boxing but has since changed his tune, saying he would sign the contract immediately to take on Joshua (26-2) provided his terms were met.

“The fight has got to be for free,” Fury said in an Instagram post.

“Free to air on television and all tickets go for free. No money is to be made off of this British, historic fight if it happens,” he said.

“There’s the terms, I’m in the driving seat, take it or effing leave it.”

The Gypsy King knocked out fellow Briton Dillian Whyte in April to retain his title before telling fans he would be sticking to his promise to his wife to retire.

Advertisement

In June he said he would fight again for 500 million pounds ($600 million) Fury and Joshua appeared to be on a collision course last year until an arbitrator ruled Fury had to fight Deontay Wilder for a third time.

Joshua lost his WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts when he fell to Ukraine’s Oleksandr Usyk in London in September, and the pair are set to meet for a rematch in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on Aug. 20.

-Reuters

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement