WBC heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury is in talks to face the winner of Anthony Joshua’s rematch against Oleksandr Usyk despite having repeatedly spoken of hanging up his gloves, the Daily Mail newspaper reported.
Fury knocked out fellow Briton Dillian Whyte in front of a sell-out crowd at Wembley Stadium in April to retain his heavyweight crown, telling fans afterwards it was unlikely he would fight again
His wife, Paris, later told BT Sport that he would return only for a title unification bout. read more
Usyk beat Joshua at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September last year to seize the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts. read more
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn told the BBC that Joshua had signed his contract to fight Usyk in a re-match in Saudi Arabia in August, with a formal announcement expected next week.
The bout has been delayed several times after Usyk returned home to Ukraine to join a territorial defence battalion following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which Moscow calls a “special military operation”.
“(Joshua) understands that in a fight of this magnitude, things do take time. It’s taken time but we’re in a great place. He’s been training throughout, so has Oleksandr Usyk,” Hearn said on Saturday