The Africa Cup of Nations traditionally have a double-header fixture in the group matches.
Thus, after the Cameroon versus Burkina Faso opening match, another Group A encounter will be on the caard at the same Olembe Stadium in Yaounde.
Here are points to note ahead of the second match of the Cameroon 2021 tournament.
- The Ethiopia versus Cape Verde match will be the first encounter between both countries at the Africa Cup of Nations.
- Ethiopia are appearing for the 12th time in the 33 editions of the Africa Cup of Nations.
- Cape Verde are appearing for the third time in the 33 editions of the Africa Cup of Nations.
- This match will be Ethiopia’s 28th match in Africa Cup of Nations.
- This match will be Cape Verde’s eighth match in the Africa Cup of Nations.
- Ethiopia were one of three teams to participate in the first Africa Cup of Nations tournament in 1957 (alongside Egypt and Sudan). Winners in 1962, this is only their second appearance in the last 20 editions of the tournament, and their first since 2013.
- Ethiopia have won only one of their AFCON matches played outside their home nation (D2 L14), a 4-2 win against Tunisia in the 1963 tournament.
- Five of Cape Verde’s seven games at the tournament so far have ended in a draw, with their solitary win taking place against Angola in the 2013 group stages (2-1).
- Only one of Cape Verde’s seven previous games at the Africa Cup of Nations has produced more than two goals.
- Ethiopia striker and all-time top scorer Getaneh Kebede is playing in his second Africa Cup of Nations – in 2013 he didn’t have a single shot on target in 189 minutes of play.