Defeated two-time world heavyweight boxing champion, Anthony Joshua has remarked that he has learnt his lesson.
The 31 year old lost his four belts to mandatory challenger, Oleksandr Usyk last Saturday at the Tottenham Stadium in London.
He was visibly hurt by some of the punches from Usyk, and was nearly stopped by a late flurry from his opponent in the final round.
‘I’ve watched the fight, analysed my preparations & identified my mistakes. I’ve learnt my lesson,’ he wrote on Twitter.
‘Thanks for sending love & checking in. Don’t worry about me. My spirit is strong!’
Joshua has been criticised for the manner of his defeat last weekend, with his own promoter, Eddie Hearn, questioning his tactics in the ring.
‘I don’t know whether it was almost a rebellious thing where it’s like, “No, I’m going to go in there and outbox him”, Hearn told iFL TV.
‘Just a terrible idea, terrible idea. But don’t forget, Usyk negates things that you want to try and do.’
However, others such as Derek Chisora have defended the former Olympic champion.
The result does blow apart the future plans of those at the top of the heavyweight division.
Joshua had been on course for a title unification bout with Tyson Fury, but plans for the mega-money fight have once again been scuppered, much to the annoyance of Fury himself.
‘Usyk did his job well and good luck to him. I’m not saying much about Joshua because I don’t like beating up on people when they’re down,’ he said.
‘Was I p***** that he lost before our big fight? Yes I was. But if he’s going to get revenge he’s going to have do something very different in the rematch.’
AJ is not set to trigger his rematch clause and will likely face Usyk again in the early part of next year.