In spite of the dwindling financial fortunes of FC Barcelona, the club signed a contract with Lionel Messi which will further worsen the financial standing of the club. Below is the nugget of the contract.
- £491,732,285 – signed in 2016, it is the biggest contract in sporting history
- £122m – earnings every season in guaranteed gross salary
- £102m – takes home for renewing his contract in 2017
- £69m – picked up a ‘loyalty bonus’ for staying at the Nou Camp
- £3.1m – if Barcelona win the Champions League
- £1.75m – what he receives for playing 60 per cent of Barcelona’s games
- £452m – amount he’s already earned from the contract with five months left