Reigning African Footballer of the Year, Sadio Mane of Senegal and his immediate successor and club mate in Liverpool, Mohamed Salah are among the shortlist of 10 men footballer shortlisted for this year’s FIFA Best.
The duo is joined by their club mate, Virgil van Dijk of the Netherlands, making the English Premiership champions, the club with the highest number of nominees. With Thiago Alcântara who joined Liverpool in September form Bayern Munich, Liverpool therefore account for four players among the 10 shortlisted.
Joining the quartet are two of the usual suspects, Chistiano Ronaldo of Portugal and Juventus as well as the Argentine captain of FC Barcelona, Lionel Messi.
Champions League winner, with Bayern Munich, Robert Lewandowski of Poland also made the cut. Others are Kevin de Bruyne of Belgium and Manchester City as well as the PSG du of Kylian Mbappe of France and Neymar of Brazil. Joining them is Sergio Ramos of Spain and Real Madrid.
The nominees are listed below in alphabetical order:
- Lucy Bronze (England / Olympique Lyonnais / Manchester City WFC)
- Delphine Cascarino (France / Olympique Lyonnais)
- Caroline Graham Hansen (Norway / FC Barcelona)
- Pernille Harder (Denmark / VfL Wolfsburg / Chelsea FC Women)
- Jennifer Hermoso (Spain / FC Barcelona)
- Ji Soyun (Korea Republic / Chelsea FC Women)
- Sam Kerr (Australia / Chelsea FC Women)
- Saki Kumagai (Japan / Olympique Lyonnais)
- Dzsenifer Marozsán (Germany / Olympique Lyonnais)
- Vivianne Miedema (Netherlands / Arsenal WFC)
- Wendie Renard (France / Olympique Lyonnais)
- Ann-Katrin Berger (Germany / Chelsea FC Women)
- Sarah Bouhaddi (France / Olympique Lyonnais)
- Christiane Endler (Chile / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Hedvig Lindahl (Sweden / VfL Wolfsburg / Atlético de Madrid Femenino)
- Alyssa Naeher (USA / Chicago Red Stars)
- Ellie Roebuck (England / Manchester City WFC)
- Thiago Alcântara (Spain / FC Bayern München / Liverpool FC)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal / Juventus FC)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium / Manchester City FC)
- Robert Lewandowski (Poland / FC Bayern München)
- Sadio Mané (Senegal / Liverpool FC)
- Kylian Mbappé (France / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina / FC Barcelona)
- Neymar (Brazil / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Sergio Ramos (Spain / Real Madrid CF)
- Mohamed Salah (Egypt / Liverpool FC )
- Virgil van Dijk (Netherlands / Liverpool FC)
Public voting via FIFA.com: votes can be cast until 9 December at 23:59 CET. The Best FIFA Football Awards 2020 takes place on 17 December. Two expert panels – one for women’s football and one for men’s football – have selected the candidates for each category.
Argentinian coach Marcelo Bielsa, who led Leeds into the English Premier League, headlines a list for the men’s coach award, which also features Bayern’s Hansi Flick, Liverpool’s Jurgen Klopp, Sevilla’s Julen Lopetegui and Real Madrid’s Zinedine Zidane.
Three finalists from categories also including men and women’s goalkeepers, and women’s players and coaches will be announced on Dec 11, with the award handed out on Dec 17.