The noose appears tightening stronger on the neck of the embattled FC Barcelona president, Josep Maria Bartomeu even as the verification of signatures for his removal has begun.
Media outlets in Spain, Marca and Tribuna have come up with statistics that suggest that Bartomeu squandered the club’’s resources at the transfer market that involved 17 signings sold since 2018.
The latest player sold is Luis Suarez. In all, it is computed that Bartomeu spent €429.97million on the 17 players and recouped €358.15million from their sales.
The breakdown runs thus:
- Marlon – (0 seasons): bought for €5m, sold for €6m
- Gerard Deulofeu – (half a season): bought for €12m, sold for €13m
- Yerry Mina – (half a season): bought for €11.8m, sold for €30.25m
- Paulinho – (one season): bought for €40m, sold for €42m
- Malcom – (one season): bought for €41m, sold for €40m
- Lucas Digne – (two seasons): bought for €16.5m, sold for €20.2m
- Andre Gomes – (two seasons): bought for €37m, sold for €25m
- Paco Alcacer – (two seasons): bought for €30m, sold for €21m
- Arthur Melo – (two seasons): bought for €31m, sold for €72m
- Arturo Vidal – (two seasons): bought for €18m, left on a free transfer
- Denis Suarez – (two and a half seasons): bought for €3.25m, sold for €12.9m
- Aleix Vidal – (three seasons): bought for €17m, sold for €9.3m
- Jasoer Cillessen – (three seasons): bought for €13m, sold for €35m
- Nelson Semedo – (three seasons): bought for €35.7m, sold for €30m
- Thomas Vermaelen – (four seasons): bought for €19m, left on a free transfer
- Ivan Rakitic – (six seasons): bought for €18m, sold for €1.5m
- Luis Suarez – (six seasons): bought for €81.72m, left on a free transfer
Hence, Bartomeu spent €429.97m on those 17 players and recouped €358.15m from their sales.
That is not all. Even after all the departures from the Camp Nou over the past two years, Barcelona still need to offload the likes of Samuel Umtiti, Jean-Clair Todibo and Rafinha to fund the signing of Koeman’s targets.