User Rating: 0 (0 votes)

Bayern Munich finally crushed the spirit of Sevilla to win the UEFA Super Cup final 2-1.

But as the relentless red machine added another trophy to the Champions League it won last month and extended its run of straight wins to 23 games, it was tested to the limit by the Europe League holders

Spanish substitute Javi Martinez got the winner for Bayern, heading past Bono after the Sevilla keeper had parried a David Alaba shot straight to him. There were 104 draining minutes on the clock when Bayern finally got themselves in front. 

Alaba had conceded a first half penalty from which Lucas Ocampos gave Sevilla the lead. Leon Goretzka had levelled on 34 minutes before Bayern got their extra-time winner.

The game was played in front of 15,500 spectators in the 67,000-capacity Puskas Arena, with around 500 travelling from Spain and 1,000 from Germany.

Sevilla took the lead on 12 minutes when Lucas Ocampos sent Manuel Neuer the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Ivan Rakitic, making the second Sevilla debut of his career, won the spot kick. 

Jesus Navas had overlapped Suso down the right but checked back on to his left foot before crossing for Luuk de Jong. The big target man headed the ball down to Rakitic who took it on his chest but was barged sideways by David Alaba. English referee Anthony Taylor booked the Austrian and Ocampos rolled in the kick.

Nervous minutes followed for the Spanish. Keeper Bono slipped as he tried to clear and Fernando had to clean things up in a hurry.

Then Rakitic went in late on Robert Lewandowski but De Jong made sure Niklas Sule’s header went out for a corner.

Manchester City target Jules Kounde added a few more euros to his value with a goalsaving block that prevented Thomas Muller scoring.

Bayern were swarming forward and when Benjamin Pavard and Serge Gnabry doubled up down the right with no Sevilla defender in attendance Pavard had a free shot that he pulled wide. 

Sane was next to shoot and this time it was Diego Carlos who blocked. Bono then saved at close-range from Lewandowski.

On 34 minutes finally Bayern’s pressure finally paid off. Muller found Lewandowski who laid off to Goretzka who sidefooted the ball past Bono.

Sevilla stayed on terms until half time and refreshed at the restart Ocampos’ flick allowed Sergio Escudero to cross and De Jong’s shot forced a corner.

Lucas Hernandez then teed-up Sane who crossed to Lewandowski. The Pole nodded to Muller who gave it back to him on the edge of the six-yard box. He scored and Bayern celebrated but VAR ruled that Lewandowski had been just offside.

Sane then had the ball in the net but the goal was harshly ruled out for a foul from Lewandowski on Escudero in the build-up. Sevilla’s cup luck was still in. 

By now a tired Rakitic had made way for Oliver Torres in a break in play brought about by Kounde’s impeccable block on Lewandowski. The Bayern forward needed treatment but there had been no foul.

The next time Kounde took a risk, this time on Muller, the foul was given but Alaba curled the kick over. Bono then got down well to his right to save from Muller, unsighted he did well to hold the shot.

With three minutes left Sevilla almost nicked it on the break when Navas played substitute Youssef En-Nesyri in. He was through for glory and he did nothing wrong but Neuer did what Neuer does getting down to his right to push the shot clear and force extra time. 

En-Nesyri had the first chance of extra time, which this time Neuer blocked on to his post. VAR would have been required if the ball had gone in because the striker looked offside.

Bayern brought on Alphonso Davies, the injection of pace looked cruel on Sevilla’s exhausted players. But it was another sub who won it.

The Spanish side were tired mentally as well as physically. Diego Carlos cleared for a corner when he had Bono behind him to gather. And from the kick Martinez scored to win the game and the Super Cup. 

-Daily Mail