Manchester United have admitted that their ride in the 2020/21 Champions league is going to be rough, but exciting. This is sequel to the team being placed in Pot 2 ahead of the 1 October draw for the group stage.
In the same pot are Ajax Amsterdam, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Manchester City and Shakhtar Donetsk.
The implication is that Manchester United will not face these tough teams very soon, especially the former club of their new sign-on, Donny van de Beek who moved from Ajax Amsterdam.
Only the first two pots have been confirmed so far by UEFA. There will be four pots. In Pot 1 are Bayern Munich (UEFA Champions League holders), Sevilla (UEFA Europa League holders), Juventus, Liverpool, Paris Saint-Germain, Porto, Real Madrid and Zenit St. Petersburg.
Twenty-six teams are assured of a UEFA Champions League place via their domestic league standings. The remaining six berths will be decided by qualifying.
Bayern (GER), UEFA Champions League holders
Sevilla (ESP), UEFA Europa League holders
Real Madrid (ESP)
Barcelona (ESP) coefficient 128.000
Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 127.000
Manchester City (ENG) 116.000
Manchester United (ENG) 100.000
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 85.000
Dortmund (GER) 85.000
Chelsea (ENG) 83.000
Ajax (NED) 69.500
Pot 3 or 4
RB Leipzig (GER) 49.000
Internazionale (ITA) 44.000
Lazio (ITA) 41.000
Atalanta (ITA) 35.500
Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS) 33.000
Marseille (FRA) 31.000
Club Brugge (BEL) 28.500
Mönchengladbach (GER) 26.000
İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR) 21.500
Rennes (FRA) 14.000
Six further teams will qualify via the play-offs.
- The 26 teams given direct entry to the group stage will be joined by the six winners of the play-off ties played on 22–23 and 29–30 September.
- The teams will be split into four seeding pots. Pot 1 consists of the holders, the UEFA Europa League winners and the champions of the six highest-ranked nations who did not qualify via one of the 2019/20 titles . Pots 2 to 4 are determined by the club coefficient rankings.
- No team can play a club from their own association, with the exact draw procedure to be confirmed before the ceremony.
- The draw also establishes the groups for the UEFA Champions League path of the UEFA Youth League.
- Matchday 1: 20/21 October
- Matchday 2: 27/28 October
- Matchday 3: 3/4 November
- Matchday 4: 24/25 November
- Matchday 5: 1/2 December
- Matchday 6: 8/9 December