Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has called for his successor, Gianni Infantino, to be suspended by the global football governing body after criminal proceedings were opened against Infantino in Switzerland.
Both Blater and Infantino are Swiss citizens. The Swiss authorities said on Thursday (July 30) that proceedings had been launched against the current FIFA boss by a special prosecutor looking into meetings he had with then Swiss Attorney-General Michael Lauber. Lauber, who resigned last week, and Infantino have both denied wrongdoing.
“For me, the situation is clear, that the FIFA ethics committee has to open a case against Mr Infantino and so it has to suspend him,” Blatter said in a statement to Reuters.
Blatter himself was suspended and later banned by FIFA’s ethics committee after he became the subject of criminal proceedings in Switzerland in 2015.
The Investigation is still on-going and the 84-year-old, who has denied wrongdoing, has not been charged.