BY MUYIWA AKINTUNDE
Nigerian champions Enyimba and Federation Cup title-holders are in a win-or-bust situation as the CAF Confederation Cup group stage enters Matchday 3.
Rangers have been disappointing in this phase of the tournament. And so too are their Mauritanian hosts.
Both sides lost their opening two matches and a third straight defeat may mean mission impossible in the continent this season.
Pyramids and Al-Masry, who go head-to-head in Rangers’ group, were victorious in their first two matches, meaning that the winners of this match will be almost certain of picking the quarterfinal ticket so early.
On their part, Enyimba struggled to a lone goal home win over San Pédro in Aba after losing their opening group match to Hassania Agadir.
That placed the People’s Elephant in second place, a position they will be consolidated if they don’t lose in Algeria this evening.
Agadir, Group D leaders, will seek to make it three wins out of as many matches as they face their Ivorien hosts, who have only one point from two matches.
In Group B, both Berkane and Motema are on four points as they square up in Morocco, while Zanaco and their Béninoise hosts ESAE clash in the other fixture. The latter have no point yet.
As it is in Group B, Horoya and Djobila will file out in Conakry with four points already acquired, which leaves the victorious side to have a better opportunity of making it to the last eight in Group C.
Bidvest host the Libyan side with both sides on a point each.
MATCHDAY 3 FIXTURES…
- FC Nouadhibou (Mauritania) v Rangers (Nigeria) (8pm)
- Al-Masry SC (Egypt) v Pyramids FC (Egypt) (5pm)
- ESAE (Benin Republic) v Zanaco FC (Zambia) (2pm)
- RS Berkane (Morocco) v Daring Club Motema Pembe (DR Congo) (8pm)
- Horoya (Guinea) v Djoliba SC (Mali) (5pm)
- Bidvest Wits (South Africa) v Al-Nasr SC (Libya) (5pm)
- Paradou AC (Algeria) v Enyimba (Nigeria) (8pm)
- FC San Pédro (Côte d’Ivoire) v Hassania Agadir (Morocco) (2pm)