Egyptian side Al Masry beat Nigeria’s Rangers International 4-2 in Alexandria on Sunday to maintain their winning form and move top of Group A with a 100 per cent record.


The Nigerians scored two late goals in the final four minutes of the game, but the comeback was too little too late as Masry had already sealed their three points.

Austin Amutu and Ahmed Mostafa scored to give the home side a 2-0 advantage at half time.

In the second half, Moftah Hamad and Hassan Ibrahim found the ba ck of the net as the Egyptians cruised. Emmanuel Madu and Chidera Ezeh scored the two late consolations for the visitors.

Masry showed their intention from the word go and were in the lead after five minutes when Amatu slammed the ball into the top left corner after a beautiful cut back from Hamad.

They found themselves 2-0 up after 26 minutes when Mostafa’s effort from the right curled beyond the keeper who had advanced off his line.

The Nigerian side’s push was nipped right in the bud in the 83rd minute when Masry scored their fourth, Ibrahim striking a superb left footed curling effort from the edge of the area to drive the final nail on Rangers’ coffin.

But the Nigerians would not go down easily as they fought to reduce their deficit, first Madu heading home from a corner in the 86th minute before Ezeh’s freekick evaded everyone inside the box before rolling into the bottom left corner.

With the result, Rangers remain bottom of the group having also lost their opening game 3-1 at home to another Egyptian side Pyramids.


Masry continued to dominate and almost made it 3-0 at the stroke of half time, but Amutu’s shot from Karim Eleraky’s cross from the right was deflected for a corner.

In the second half, it only took the home side two minutes to cement their lead. Hamad slammed the ball into the net when he picked up an Eleraky cross from the right with the Rangers defend caught flat out.

Rangers showed some desire to cut the deficit and they improved their attacking play. On the hour mark, they came close with Isaac Loute forcing the Masry keeper to a good save from a freekick while two minutes later, substitute Ifeanyi George’s low shot was saved by the keeper.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.