Even with an uninspiring display that produced a barren draw against Ethiopia, Kenya went to the top of their 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying group at the Bahir Dar National Stadium on Wednesday.

Kenya in Group F now have four points from three games, above second-placed Ethiopia also on four points but with a superior goal difference.

The two countries will lock horns again in the fourth round of their 2019 Afcon qualifiers when they clash in Kenya on Sunday.

The game on Wednesday, though, did not produce the most entertaining first half with both teams poor in attack, especially when it came to decision making in the final third.

The home side saw more of the ball early on, but struggled to break down the Kenyan defence and consequently they had to shoot from long range with very little effect.

Getaneh Kebede probably came closest to break the deadlock midway through the first half, but the Etiopian attacker saw his long-range effort skim the wrong side of the post.

Kenya played better as the half went on and started creating some scoring opportunities of their own but like the home opposition their shooting was woeful.

Their best chance fell to Victor Wanyama five minutes before the break, but the Kenyan defensive midfielder saw his rather 20-yard timid shot well-saved by the keeper.

The half ended 0-0.

The second half saw Ethiopia pushing more players forward, but similar to the first half they were thwarted by a well-organised Kenyan defence.

Substitute Omod Okwury had a great chance to score for Ethiopia five minutes after coming on when he found some space just inside the box, but he shot straight at the keeper who did well to hold onto the ball.

Paul Were injected some life into the Kenyan team when he came on in the 74th minute and went close to breaking the deadlock in the final ten minutes and had a couple of efforts on goal, but he missed the target time and again.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.