The FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2018 enters the last matchday of the group stages this Tuesday.
There promises to be more drama and excitement when the curtain comes down on the Group Phase.
There is plenty to play for in every group and that means a range of different potential outcomes. For D’Tigress, they aim to get to the quarterfinals.
For the team and others in Group B, the permutations are thus: Nigeria will be facing Argentina while Turkey will play against Australia.
- Australia vs. Turkey – 11.30am
- Argentina vs. Nigeria – 5. 30pm
If Australia and Nigeria win:
- If Australia beat Turkey, they finish top of the group and advance directly to Friday’s quarterfinals.
- If Nigeria also beat Argentina, the South Americans will be eliminated and Nigeria will claim second place in the group and book a quarterfinal qualification date on Wednesday against the third place team from Group A.
If Australia and Argentina win:
- Australia take top spot and advance directly to Friday’s quarterfinals.
- Turkey, Nigeria and Argentina would all be locked on 1-2 records.
- Nigeria will finish fourth and will be eliminated if they lose by 16 points or more. Argentina are fourth if they win by less than 16 points
If Turkey and Nigeria win:
- Argentina are eliminated.
- Turkey, Nigeria and Australia will all have 2-1 records.
If Turkey and Argentina win:
- Turkey and Australia will have identical 2-1 records, but Turkey will go the quarterfinals.
- Australia will take second place and face the third team in Group A in the quarterfinal qualifications.
- Argentina will have the same 1-2 record as Nigeria and take third place to set up a matchup with the team that finished second in Group A in the quarterfinal Qualifications.
- Nigeria will finish bottom of the Group and will be eliminated.
In other groups, the permutations run thus:
- Korea vs. Greece – 1.30 pm
- Canada vs. France – 8.30pm
- The still unbeaten France and Canada will fight it out for top spot in the group and the one direct ticket to Friday’s quarterfinals.
- The loser of that game will play the third place team in Group B in Wednesday’s quarterfinal qualifications.
- Greece face Korea in a direct elimination game. The loser will head home, with the winner extending their stay in the competition and matching up with the second place team in Group B for the quarterfinal qualifications.
*Belgium and Spain cannot drop below third place and are not in danger of being eliminated.
- Japan vs. Puerto Rico – 11am
- Belgium vs. Spain – 8pm
If Spain and both Japan win:
- If host nation Spain beat Belgium, they will finish 3-0 and move into Friday’s quarterfinals.
- If Japan beat Puerto Rico, they will take second place and face Group D’s third place nation in the quarterfinal Qualifications.
If Spain and Puerto Rico win:
- Spain win the Group and go directly to the quarterfinals.
- All other teams will be locked in a three-way tie situation with 1-2 records.
- However, Puerto Rico have to win by 26 points or more to avoid elimination. If they do win by 26 points or more, then Japan would crash out.
If Belgium and Japan win:
- Puerto Rico are eliminated.
- Spain, Belgium and Japan will all be locked in a three-way tie situation with 2-1 records. Belgium will need a win by eight points or more to push Spain out of first place. If Spain should lose by 25 or more, they will drop to third place.
- In this scenario, Japan cannot move into first place and will play either as a second or third seed in the quarterfinal qualifications.
If Belgium and Puerto Rico win:
- Belgium and Spain have identical 2-1 records, but the Belgians will go the quarterfinals.
- Spain will take 2nd place and face the third team in Group D in the quarterfinal qualifications.
- Puerto Rico will have the same 1-2 record as Japan and will take third place and face Group D’s second team in the quarterfinal Qualifications.
- Japan will finish bottom of the Group and will be eliminated.
- Senegal vs. China – 2pm
- Latvia vs. USA 6pm – 6pm
- The critical game in Group D is the match-up between China and Senegal which will determine who finishes in second place. The winner will face third place in Group C and the loser will face second place in Group C during Quarter-Final Qualifications.
- USA have already qualified for the Quarter-Finals after taking top spot in the Group.
- Latvia are already eliminated after their final Group game and will be heading back to Riga without the historical first win they craved.