Connect with us

Nigerian Football

Apart from Okwaraji, Nigeria’s Other Field-Related Obituaries



When Nigeria’s midfielder, Samuel Okwaraji slumped unchallenged and died on the turf of the National Stadium, Lagos on August 12, 1989, during Nigeria’s World Cup qualifying match with Angola, Sports Village Square recalls that it was not the first time Nigeria recorded an on-field death.
There were similar cases before that and there had been later. His death at the National Stadium and that of five other fans curiously occurred on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the death of 24 fans at the same stadium.
On the night of August 13, 1989, television views got more than they expected. Results and analyses of the presidential election held two days earlier were just trickling in.
It was also that night that the famous 12 two third theory of deciding the winner of the 1979 presidential election was first put up by Chief Richard Akinjide.
But the sports-inclined were awaiting the outcome of the epic encounter between IICC Shooting Stars and Bendel Insurance in the semi-final of the Challenge Cup.
Both had met the previous year at the same stage and Bendel were not just surprise winners of the match, but also of the Challenge Cup.
Moreover, both were hot contenders for the National League title that Bendel had just won. Within the regulation time, the Shooting Stars had become victorious, winning 2-1. But there was no time for the expected celebration.
Their moment of joy had turned national grief. Twenty-four fans had died in a stampede that ensued minutes after the match when the floodlights were suddenly switched off.
The tightly packed crowd made frantic and hurried rush towards the 72 exit points of the main bowl where iron gates had just been mounted.
But unknown to the rushing crowd, the exit points at the northern end of the stadium, the gates A and B were still locked. Early arrivals to the locked gates were trapped to the barrier in the ensuing stampede.
The gates collapsed under the weight of the surging crowd and the early arrivals were trampled upon.
The unlucky fans were pressed upon the iron gates which later fell under the weight of the surging crowd. Some of them died of suffocation. Worse still, the National Sports Commission (NSC) medical centre was not opened.
So, there was no immediate medical attention. Ambulances at the sports complex could not also function for lack of personnel.
About 50 others in convulsive conditions were rushed to hospitals. By the time calm was restored, 24 fans were dead.
Almost 30 others were seriously wounded. The death toll was relayed in the late news announcement on television where viewers were possibly just awaiting electoral results and that of the classic Bendel Insurance /IICC Shooting Stars clash.
Two medical personnel, Dr. Alaba Efunkoya, a former chairman of Nigeria Table Tennis Association and Commander Sojinrin, a naval doctor who had come to watch the match and who was to become chairman of National Sports Commission some years later, assisted in offering first aid to some of the victims.
Two days later, the NSC issued a statement lamenting the national tragedy. That happened almost 10 years before that of Okwaraji and five football fans.
Yet it was not the first recorded tragedy on Nigeria’s football fields. There was a certain David Omofeye.
His was perhaps, the earliest recorded death on the Nigerian football field. It was on May 6, 1954. Omofeye was the left full back and captain of Railway.
He was popularly called “Idi” since 1932 during his days at Lagos Government School where his hefty hips attracted attention. He narrowly missed being selected as a member of the famed ‘UK Tourists’, Nigeria’s first national team.
He was an all-round athlete. The player, aged 32, hailed from Amukpe in Delta, a town that was to cause a big upset in the Challenge Cup in 1962.
Idi had played for Railway II team and graduated to Railway I to become its skipper when Titus Okere left in 1952.
He was in the Railway team that went to Cotonou and beat the home side 3-1 in 1948. Besides captaining the football team, he was also the skipper of the Railway Amateur Athletics Club where he was a hurdler.
He had no premonition of death when he trotted out of the dressing room, a minute after his colleagues, in the May 6, 1954, first division match with Marine.
Shouts of “Idi! Idi!” greeted him at the now Onikan Stadium, Lagos.
It was the last ovation he received. He looked quite hale and hearty at the beginning of play, but fell suddenly after clearing the ball for his side.
Idi was rushed to the General Hospital, Lagos, where he was confirmed died few minutes later. The match, which was the first encounter in the season for both Marine and Railway, had to be abandoned when the news of Idi’s death filtered into the stadium.

  • Daily Times of May 9, 1954 reports the funeral of David “Idi”  Omofeye of Railway FC

It was a shock and thousands were on hand to bid Nigeria’s first soccer martyr farewell two days later.
According to newspapers’ reports, for two hours, traffic was held up along Broad, Bamgbose and Lewis streets, Lagos. The procession began from Lagos General Hospital and moved along Broad Street and behind the Salvation Army Headquarters at Odunlami Street into Bamgbose Street.
At the Salvation Army Church where the funeral service took place, footballers in their different colours formed a guard of honour. The coffin, wrapped in the Union Jack, the flag of Britain, Nigeria’s colonial masters, bore the national athletics’ emblem of Nigeria.
After his death, a similar one to Okwaraji’s was that of John Akande. He was a player of Shooting Stars which he joined barely six weeks before his untimely death.
It was on February 21, 1974 during a league match at the Olubadan Stadium. He had a collision with an opposing player and could not get up. He was rushed to a hospital where he was confirmed dead.
After Okwaraji, there was the death of Amir Angwe of Julius Berger. It was almost in similar fashion like those of Idi, Okwaraji and John Akande.
Angwe was a striker of Julius Berger. He died during an African Winners Cup semi-final with Maxaquine of Mozambique.
The striker, who in the 1990 final, opened scoring for BCC Lions in Tunisia, was aiming to be a part of Berger’s victory five years later.
Angwe came in as a substitute for Taiwo Oloyede who scored the only goal of the semi-final match.
He was pronounced clinically dead 10 minutes after the game. Angwe was barely 15 minutes old in the game when he fell without anyone having contact with him, bringing in sad memories of Sam Okwaraji who died six years earlier.
Help came too late apparently because the fallen player did not have body contact with anyone, making the Ugandan referee, Charles Massembe, and other players to probably think that the fall was either a time-killing tactics or it was due to exhaustion.
When he failed to rise, his teammate, Ikponwosa Omeregie, who was nearest to him, had to call the attention of the referee who in turn called for medical attention.
Four medical doctors among them, Jose Novao, the Portuguese team doctor of Maxaquine, battled in vain to revive Angwe.
The player’s wife, Ann, was reportedly in the crowd that saw her husband make the death fall.
“It’s too bad. It is not a normal thing in sports. He is not breathing. He had heart failure. Then his breathing also failed. I can’t confirm, but I think he has passed out. He is dead, but let’s wait for what your doctors can do,” said Jose Novao, the Portugal-born Maxaquine team doctor, before leaving the scene.
At that point, it was almost certain it was over. The Nigerian doctors also lost hope and called for an ambulance that took the player’s body to the General Hospital mortuary.
In an earlier quarterfinal match with Motema Pembe of Zaire (now DR Congo), Angwe barely survived as he also slumped. But he could not be revived on the fateful October 29, 1995 match.
Controversy set in on why the late player was fielded in the match as the then NFA Secretary General, Sani Toro, said the club had been given medical advice against fielding the player, although his team mates believed he was healthy from the layman’s point of view, having participated in the trainings and endurance tests that preceded the match.
But according to the NFA which recalled that Angwe barely survived a similar incident during quarterfinals game with Motema Pembe, it was suggested that a more thorough examination of the player and his teammates be made.
One doctor, from Imo Sports Council was asked to do the tests two days to the match with Maxaquine. The NFA claimed that the doctor advised against fielding of Agwe. But a Julius Berger official claimed the doctor cleared him for the game on the day of the match while his teammates said they had even expected him to be on the starting line-up as he played full time in the first leg two weeks earlier in Maputo.
That was weeks after he passed out in the game with Motema Pembe. Moreover, he reportedly practised for three hours with the remaining players two days to his death. Jose Novao said from what he saw of available facilities at the Onikan Stadium, “the administration here did not seem well equipped to meet any serious emergency.
“What is clear to me is that he died of heart failure which a good test could have revealed before the game… I did not see any medical facility that could have assisted even the best doctor to save that situation.
“I am an orthopaedic surgeon and as football team manager, I expected to see better facilities than cold water and stretcher at the venue of an international match”.
The Maxaquine team doctor said although he sympathised with Nigeria over Angwe’s death, his team would not have taken it easy with the NFA if it was a player of his side that died.
“Of course, all my players were well tested before we came for the match, but emergencies can develop anytime and that is why FIFA and other international sports bodies take sports medicine very seriously,” remarked Novao.
What happened to Angwe remains a mystery. Two weeks after he collapsed in the game with Motema Pembe, he was invited to the Super Eagles’ camp preparatory to the 1995 Afro-Asian Cup matches with Uzbekistan.
In the Super Eagles’ camp, he reportedly told a newspaper of the incident at the Motema Pembe match: “I don’t know what happened, I just entered the match and the next thing I noticed was that I could neither breathe nor see. It was terrible. But I’m alright now.”

Sad Tales of the Tape

May 6, 1954: David Omofeye aka “Idi” slumped and died during a Lagos first divi­sion match between his club, Railway and Marine. This is Nigeria’s first recorded sudden death on the field.


February 21, 1974John Akande, left winger, 22, died at a hospital following a collision with an opponent in a league match at the Olubadan Stadium. He was playing for Shooting Stars which he joined six weeks earlier.



August 12, 1989Samuel Okwaraji slumped and died, playing for Nigeria against Angola in World Cup qualifying match in Lagos.


September 9, 1995Igweniwari George, Golden Eaglets and Enugu Rangers play­er and younger brother of Finidi, a Super Eagles player, died in the hospital from gunshot wounds sustained after their FA Cup tie with Super Stores ended with riots at Lekan Salami Stadium, Ibadan.



October 29, 1995: Amir Angwe playing for Julius Berger against Maxaquine of Mozambique in the African Winners Cup slumped and died.


September 9, 1997: Tunde Charity Ikhidero died in the hospital following head injury sustained in a league match involving his club, Insurance and Niger Tornadoes in Benin on September 6, 1997.


August 30, 1997: Emmanuel Nwanegbo died of heart failure playing for German lower division side, SSV Reutlingen



February 23, 2000: John Ikoroma, a former Golden Eaglets player died of heart attack while playing for United Arab Emirates club, Al-Wahda in Dubai.


April 16, 2000: Gabriel Anas, a central defender of Iwuanyanwu Nationale col­lapsed and died.



July 14, 2001: Charles Esheko, 26, playing in India for Bengal Mumbai, suffered massive cardiac arrest on the field and died later in the hospital.


August 12, 2006: Boniface Danjuma of Plateau United slumped and died in a league match with city rivals, JUTH, exactly 17 years after similar incident involv­ing Samuel Okwaraji.


May 26, 2009: Orobosa Adun, the goalkeeper of Warri Wolves slumped and died during a training session.



March 6, 2010: Endurance Idahor, former Julius Berger and Dolphin striker, playing for Al Merreikh of Sudan, collapsed and died in Omdurman while playing against Amal Atbara.


September 22, 2010: Habib Faloye and Kunle Oyetola, both Nigerian referees, slumped and died while participating in the Cooper Test, a yearly referees’ fitness programme at the Abuja National Stadium.



December 12, 2010: Emmanuel Ogoli of Ocean Boys died shortly after slumping in a league match with Niger Tornadoes.


May 25, 2017: Saka Abdulazeez, a player of Kwara United, slumped unchallenged and subsequently passed on while training.

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading

Nigerian Football

Sikiru Alimi is Nigeria’s leading scorer as NPFL’24 strikers net 708 goals in 330 Games



Sikiru Alimi hits Nigeria Premier League milestone of 50 goals -

Data released by the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL) Competitions Unit indicate an average of +2 goals per match after Matchday 33 as a total of 708 goals were recorded in the 330 games so far played by the 20 clubs.

The data has Remo Stars Sikiru Alimi as the leading scorer with 14 goals and Rangers International as the team with the best attack with 49 goals. Bendel Insurance are listed as the side with the least conceded goals having let in 25 in 33 games while Gombe United have conceded the most goals at 61.

A total of 1268 yellow cards have been issued with 43 players sent off.

A further analysis of the records show that teams have won 251 games at home with 25 winning away from home and 79 fixtures ending in a draw. In the home wins, 512 goals were scored while teams have scored 196 goals on the road. Of these, there were 13 own goals.

The season has recorded a total of 85 penalties awarded with 65 successfully converted and 20 missed.



Total No. of Matches Played: 330

Total No. of Wins: 251

Total No. of Home wins: 226

Total No. of Away Wins: 25


Total No. of Draws: 79

Total No. of Goals Scored: 708

Average Goals/Match: 2

Total No. of Home Goals: 512

Total No. of Away Goals:196


Total No.of Penalty Awarded: 85 

Total No. of Penalties Scored: 65

Total No. of Penalties Missed: 20

Total No. of Own Goals: 13

Highest Goal Scorer: Sikiru Alimi of Remo Stars;14 goals.


Total No. of Yellow Cards:1268

Total No. of  Red Cards: 43 

Top of the Log: Enugu Rangers: 60pts, 49 goals for, 31 against 

Best Attacking Team: Enugu Rangers: 49 goals.

Best Defensive Team: Bendel Insurance 25 goals conceded.


Worst Defense:Gombe United with 61 goals against.

Continue Reading

Nigerian Football

We are not owing bonuses and allowances, says NFF



The Nigeria Football Federation has released a refutal that players and officials of the national team are being owed of the money released to the team before the last Africa Cup of Nations in Cote d’Ivoire.

 The NFF issued a press release that the Presidency had, late last year, and following a process supported and personally followed-through by the Minister of Sports John Owan Enoh, released monies to the NFF for payment of outstanding bonuses and allowances of players and officials of the various national teams.

The NFF in its released reported that there was a publication on Monday which a senior administrative official of the Super Eagles described as “tissues of lies” and challenged the writer to come forward with evidence of his claims.

“The report is absolutely false, in every ramification, and we challenge the owner of the website and writer to come forward with proof of the claims. We want him to name the players who spoke to him, because these are all tissues of lies.

“Players and officials of the Super Eagles have been paid for all matches played at the AFCON, yet he claimed the team was paid for only three matches. His outlandish claim of the team being owed for 25 matches is the biggest lie ever concocted by any writer.”


The writer also falsely claimed that only members of the NFF Board and staff of the Secretariat have been paid their outstanding allowances from the government money.

“This story is a shame. No player of the Super Eagles spoke to the writer. It is all pure fabrication,” a senior player told

Another senior official of the Super Eagles added: “The story is absolute bunkum. People should make an effort to verify whatever they hear from anywhere before going to the press. It is clear that this writer did not even hear anything; he simply brought forth something from his own imagination.”   

Continue Reading

Nigerian Football

Enugu Rangers hold on grimly at the top as Nigerian league gets to home stretch



Enugu Rangers may have broken loose from the pack following their comprehensive  3-0 victory over Bayelsa United on Sunday.

As if to aid Rangers’ hold of the top position, their closest rivals, Remo Stars who were initially just a point behind fell like  papers blown by the huricane, losing 3-2 to Kwara United. Their loss dealt a big blow on their title aspirations as they are now four points behind Enugu Rangers and had also narrowed their goal difference.

They are now third having been overtaken by Enyimba who have better goal difference even though both are with 56 points.

Shooting Stars who suddenly peaked in the second half of the season are fast pacing up, getting to the fourth position and three points behind Remo Stars.

They were dealt a blow in the added time as Katsina United’s Michael Okoro got an added time goal against to stalemate scores at 2-2.


Just as Enugu Rangers are at the cusp of the championship, the fates of Gombe United and Heartland appear already decided as the second tier Nigeria National League are already waiting to welcome them next season.

Akwa United may have navigated their ways out of relegation waters following their 2-1 away win over Lobi Stars. Akwa United are now 15th on the log. In Jos, former champions, Plateau and Niger Tornadoes played uninspiring goalless while relegation-troubled Heartland of Owerri spanked Gombe United 3-0 just as Kano Pillars dimmed Doma United 3-1.

All the results:

Sunshine Stars 0-0 Bendel Insurance

Rivers United 4-1 Sporting Lagos


Lobi Stars 1-2 Akwa United

Kwara United 3-2 Remo Stars

Katsina United 2-2 Shooting Stars

Kano Pillars 3-1 Doma United

Heartland 3-0 Gombe United


Enugu Rangers 3-0 Bayelsa United

Abia Warriors 0-1 Enyimba

Plateau United 0-0 Niger Tornadoes

Continue Reading

Most Viewed