The El Clásico is the clash of the two La Liga giants, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. The two teams are playing again in Miami, Florida in US on Saturday (Sunday in most African and European countries). This particular clash is dubbed Miami El Clásico, after the tourist city where it is going to be played. It is also regarded as an unusual El Clásico.
The reasons are hereby stated:
- This is the first time in 26 years both Real Madrid and FC Barcelona are playing in a friendly match. The last friendly between the two teams dates back to 1991, when they faced each other at the Camp Nou.
- This is the first El Clásico outside Spain in 32 years. The last off-shore El Clásico was played at Barquisimeto, Venezuela on May 30, 1982.
- Even though this El Clásico is on Saturday in the US, it is Sunday in Spain as well as most parts of Europe and America. It will therefore be almost 100 days since the last El Clásico ended 3-2 in favour of FC Barcelona at the Santiago Bernabéu, when Lionel Messi scored the winner with the last kick.
- For El Clásico Miami, both teams are staying just 15 minutes away from the stadium. In fact, from Barça’s hotel you can see the hotel in which Real Madrid players are staying
- The city of Miami has been completely decorated for the match. Street lamps, advertising panels and above all many people dressed in white shirts of Real Madrid or Blue and red shirts of FC Barcelona have given a wonderful colour to the city for a few days.
- Throughout Friday and Saturday there is a ‘Fan Zone’ for the supporters of both teams at Bay front Park in Miami. Thousands of people have come to enjoy the Clásico experience.
- Marc-Andre Ter Stegen and André Gomes, who participated in the Confederations Cup, will not play this Clásico and will join the team when they return to Barcelona. For Real Madrid, and for the same reason, Cristiano Ronaldo is absent.
- For Barça, this will be their third pre-season game. So far, all wins: 2-1 against Juventus and 1-0 against Manchester United.
- Real Madrid, meanwhile, have been beaten in two friendlies in the United States: 1-1 (3-2) against Manchester United and 4-1 against Manchester City.
- The Hard Rock Stadium where the Clásico will be played has hosted five editions of the Super Bowl (1989, 1995, 1999, 2007 and 2010).