Lagos FA Set to Present Score Card
BY KUNLE SOLAJA
The oldest football governing body in Nigeria, the Lagos State Football Association founded in 1932, is set to present its scorecard of the past six season of the “Eko Football Project”.
Titled “The Ekofootball Review”, the presentation is slated for Muson Centre, Onikan in Lagos. According to information released to the Sports Village Square, the event holds on Wednesday, June 7 starting at 11am.
According to the chairman of the football association who is also the senior vice president of the Nigeria Football Federation, Seyi Akinwunmi, “the Ekofootball review is a scorecard of our six full seasons of the Board of LSFA.
“We would like to share this assessment with all of our sponsors, potential partners, colleagues and stakeholders who play important roles in administering and promoting growth of football. The assessment attempts to describe our performance and capacity.”
He asked for support from stakeholders as such “will not only assist us to grow but encourage us in our future plans for a robust and sustainable football development pathway.”
He also disclosed that there will be a brief report of “WHAT NEXT”, a Mega Project, described as an Ekofootball Game Changer that will kick off in 2017 August.
Sports Village Square can confirm that the Lagos State Football Association was founded as Lagos Amateur Football Association (LAFA) by Henry Augustus Porter, a senior architect at the then Public Works Department (PWD) in 1930.
According to documents in the custody of Sports Village Square, the Lagos Amateur Football Association changed to Lagos and Districts Amateur Football Association (LDAFA) in the 1950s.
The same Henry A. Porter also founded the then NFA in 1933 as against the 1945 that is erroneously believed to be the beginning of the central football governing body in Nigeria.
At the time, the LDAFA had 18 clubs under its control. It first applied to the Nigerian Land Department for incorporation under the Land (Perpetual Succession) Ordinance, 1924 on January 8, 1934.
On January 26, 1934, a letter convening the issuance of incorporation certificate was issued. The certificate was numbered 63.